Saturday, April 7, 2007

The Professor: MVP

Although I didn't think my wish for Tyler Yates would come true so soon, it did and it was just as I imagined. The Mets improved to 4-0 after shellacking the Braves in Atlanta tonight. It goes to show you that anytime I mention something, it's usually wrong.

After singing the praises of the Braves strengthened pitching staff, the Mets pounded them for 11 runs, including 6 of them off the very, very improved bullpen that I fawned over not 12 hours ago. Well, I never said I was intelligent.

The real story was Oliver Perez and his terrific performance: 7 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 6 K, 0 BB. He located his pitches well, kept the Braves off-balance, and when he started to get wild he composed himself and got back to business. It's only one start, but it was hard not to be impressed. Ron Darling said it at the top of the broadcast, with Perez's stuff he can very easily turn 2006's 3-13 record around to 13-3 in 2007.

In other breaking news, Gary Cohen spoke the truth when he declared The Professor the Mets early season MVP. Keith promptly agreed, and went on to tell some rollicking good stories about El Sid nearly being mauled by a giant Tiger Shark off the coast of Hawaii. Good times in Mets Fandom...good times indeed.

No comments: